Re: [at-l] Gear Question;BackPack

> Gear Question in the midst of all the New Year and Weather Reports;
>
> I am looking for a backpack, reasonably priced, for my son, 14 years old
> and 110 pounds, to do a 12 day expedition (Philmont) this July. Problems
> are he will grow between now and then and Philmont gives us 4 days of
> food at a time so our pack weights are normally 45-55 pounds each.
>
> I am looking at the Sierra Trading Post latest sale flier and looking at
> the Mountainsmith Revolution 5500 @ 249.95. Does anyone have any
> experience with this pack ? If so, good or bad, etc........
> We are already a 3 pack, all over $300.00, family, so I hate to spend a
> lot of money, but I also want him to have a great time on this hike.
> Suggestions or information on this pack or another pack summarily priced
> greatly appreciated.

Chuck,

I have sent several crews to Philmont with all types of packs.  I
personally like external frame packs.  The reason is these boys hve
not stop growing and we have not had a lot of luck adjusting internal
frame packs to a growing boy.  We have had a lot of luck with Kelty
external frame packs (No I don't own the company or any stock.).

The other thing is you don't want to have a large capacity pack.  Our
scouts rarely carry packs over 45 lbs.  We try very hard to keep the
pack weight down and we spend a lot of time adjusting pack weights.
I rarely carry a pack over 30 lbs with water!  Twenty years ago I use
to carry a lot heavier pack and was rewarded with bad knees.

Cheers,

Grey Owl