Re: [at-l] Thruhiking - Training

INFPeace@aol.com wrote:

> I'm not saying I'll be 100% prepared, physically and mentally, but who is? I
> know I love to "sleep in the woods," and my balance is better when I have a
> pack on my back than when I don't. Of course, I'm spending every weekend I can
> in the woods from now till March 2000 (partly to "train," and partly to keep
> myself from going nuts!).
>
> I'm kinda excited about knowing there will be actual views beyond the mists on
> those dreary foggy mornings I've been reading about in my AT books and in
> journals ... :)

Nina -
No one's ever 100% prepared - not even repeat thruhikers, so you'll be
in good company.  Keep on "training" - it's more fun than mall-walking.

Just don't expect to see the "views beyond the mists" - we have what we
call "the standard 6000" view" (even have a picture of it).  And we've
seen it at most every view point between Big Bald and the Mahoosucs.
You can get the same effect by draping a white sheet over your head.

Walk softly (and carefully) in that fog,
Jim