Re: [at-l] Recent 2000milers: How'd your pack's padding hold up?

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:31:58 -0500 pmags@juno.com writes:

>On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:21:19 -0500 tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us
>(Thomas McGinnis) writes:
>>     hike -- that the foams are so much better now than twenty years
>
>>ago, >     that they can take it "and more," blah blah blah. Is this
>true?

Don't know about that! :) My EMS 5500's hipbelts were shot by the end
of my thru-hike. The padding was ripped, the stiching came loose, and
the hip belts stuck out at an odd angle by the time the Big K was
climbed. It did not hinder me at all, but it definitely had to
replaced by the time the trip was through (or is that thru? )

>>     replaceable padding (as does an external), but without a
>>tremendous  >  weight penalty (such as the Dana, Osprey, Gregory,
>...). Packs
>>with >     sewn-on suspension (such as many Lowe, and the lovely
>JanSport

The hipbelt was field replaceable, but I did not feel like waiting for
EMS to send me one, it was not that uncomftorable. EMS opted to
replace the pack when I returned home. The water holsters were also
shot. It was less expensive to give me a refurbished pack then replace
the hipbelt.

>>     Where on AT did you first notice it sacking?
>>     How much weight did you carry?
>>     How many miles did your pack have at Springer?
>>     What brand/model pack is/was it?

I really noticed the hipbelt was shot somewhere in New Jersey/New
York. It had about 400-500 miles on it before the hike. I carried
approx 35 lbs on average, no more than 40.  The pack was the EMS
5500..pre -1996 model.  The current modle of the 5500 (which I do not
have)
  is heavier, has more doo-dads. In my mind, that means more can go
wrong. I like my plain  vanilla pack. Big enough for four season use, but
not a 7000 CI
monster that will weigh me down.

>>     And a side issue:
>>     How was the stink factor on your pack?
>>     Were you able to reduce it any via soaps or sprays?

To quote the EMS store manager, "GOD! This pack is rank".

I use to work in a hosptial  where we would put ceartin waste in red
BioHazzrd bags.
My pack could have easily gone in one of those bags.