[at-l] And now, a scenic break..........

     But that, of course -- the disconnection from today and the
     reconnection to ancient, unplugged instincts -- is the reason you're
     there. To explore unknown territory, the way a cat will when the door
     opens to the little-used attic or basement. Just to get a good look
     around.

     And it's those views that entice us back. The spectacular ones that
     unfold like cinema, when you suddenly round a bend and the green
     curtains open, revealing waves of mountains to the horizon, ghostly
     cumulus clouds, the sweep of valley, a roiling waterfall. And the more
     intimate ones, too, of heron perched on rock, purple and yellow
     wildflowers in the grass, a turtle meandering midpath, a stand of
     aspen aging golden. No wonder our ancestors wandered. There was so
     much to see.

     Trail views are earned, not given. You've proven your commitment
     through sweat and tired hamstrings, and the sight is sweeter for the
     effort. Yes, you can enjoy some great panoramas from your car window.
     But they don't _belong_ to you.

     It's not surprising, then, that the bond between <the self-propelled
     travelor> and landscape seems mystical, a connection to the infinite.
     We travel ancient paths, ones our progeny will inherit. Landforms seem
     eternal, infused with spirit. Sacred ground.

     For now, then -- while you can, where you can -- enjoy the passage of
     dirt beneath you feet. Surround yourself in green. Sweat the good
     bullet. Be alert. Drink in the pastoral, the arboreal, the mythical
     views. And by all means, do not resist the urge to break out in song.

     THE END.
     Unceremoniously lifted from the October RUNNER'S WORLD; "The Trail
     Less Traveled" by Don Kardong (A US Olympic Marathoner). So why,
     indeed, would someone want to sully the AT by running on it?