Re[2]: [at-l] AT may be too tough says oldtimer ;o)

     That may be a little rough. At one point in time, I read his comments
     as refering to the astounding lack of switchbacks at some points in
     the trail. Not switchbacks to make the trail "accessable," but
     switchbacks to make "reasonable" (and what is that?!) those
     straight-arrow sluice climbs that are encountered WAY too regularly
     when terrain would obviously allow other routings. By way of example,
     think of those sections of trail where the treadway is .5 to 2.5
     FEET(!) below the surrounding terrain. Clingman's was like that 20
     years ago (I confess I haven't had the guts to go back "in season" as
     a tourist...), and may still be so; Rodgers, and some of the balds,
     even some very nicely forested areas in the south were MARRED by a
     GULLY called the Appalachian Trail. At it follows too into CT, MA
     (think "Greylock"), NH and ME.
     In general, I think that if you have avoidable erosion caused by how
     the trail is located in a particular area, then you have "bad" trail
     routing -- and that that's when I judge the trail's route to be
     unnecessarily tough for the terrain. I remember this to be the context
     of Shaffer's comments of some years past, but cannot put any more
     definite finger on it. And yes, I know he's made more extreme
     statements (like avoiding lesser peaks/bumps) but out of context, I'm
     not willing to make a judgment. Anybody else?