[at-l] Posts / Why Hike?

Glad to see everyone coming out of the forest again <G>. I've come to know
a number of you, and I feel good about the fact that the AT-L feels like
family. So much to learn from so many people with experiences that keep me
chasing my dreams...

I spent a couple hours Sunday roadwalking two miles in blazing desert heat.
Not the smartest thing to do, perhaps (lucky me, I knew I could buy cold
bottled water at the halfway point), but I'd do it again in an instant
because of the things I'd found at the end of the walk: the side trail
leading to forests of boulders that rolled out into the ocean, creating
natural shallow pools teeming with sea life, coconut palms waving overhead;
grottos formed by ancient boulders, shimmering in reflected light off the
water; a hiking trail that required a bathing suit, as it clambered over
boulders (with the use of ropes and ladders) and in and out of deep
channels filled with rocks and coral. I saw sea turtle tracks leading into
the brush, poisonous machinille trees, iguanas less than an inch long,
rainbow striped lizards over a foot long, hummingbirds no bigger than
bumblebees, and colorful tropical fish flashing in the depths.

This is why I hike. I love the outdoors...I love nature. All the tourists
that come down here and stick to the "party cruises" are missing a large
chunk of why these islands are so lovely -- because they're afraid to get
out and explore on foot.

Can't wait to return to Virgin Gorda and hike the trails over the mountain!

"Navigator" Sandy, on assignment in St. Thomas (and thankfully subscribed
to AT-L from afar)
See you in Duncannon!