[at-l] Calories Per Ounce Table (Long)

Make use of the following if it's useful.

Lucian ("Bristlecone")

Calories Per Oz. Table

Introduction: What follows is a table of miscellaneous foods sometimes consumed while backpacking, showing approximately how many calories in each ounce of that food. Obviously, for long-distance backpacking, one would like to have as many calories per ounce of carried weight as possible. Therefore, the higher the number, the more "efficient" that food is. However, I hasten to add the following caveats:

  1. I’ve made no attempt to judge the foods in terms of "quality" of calories. Judging strictly from the table, carrying (and consuming) nothing but olive oil (240 calories per oz.) appears efficient. But one must consider overall nutrition as well. "Efficient" foods tend to be high in fats and simple carbohydrates. Our bodies need them, but our bodies need more too.
  2. The given weights do not include packaging. Some foods (e.g. Jiffy-Pop Popcorn) generally have heavier containers than others (e.g. Ramen noodles). Adjust your strategy accordingly.

  3. Many of the foods listed can be made more caloric by preparing the food as instructed on the package and adding, for example, margarine and milk. (Kraft Mac & Cheese is a good example) The calories listed here do not include those extras. In other words, the information contained here is for the food "as packaged" and does not include any additions.

Food and  Calories Per Oz.

Tuna (in spring water) 30

Tuna (in oil) 52

Canned Smoked Oysters in Oil 55

Spam 85

Canned Chicken in Water 40

Deviled Ham Spread 80

Corned Beef Hash 49

Beef or Chicken Bullion 40

Ramen Noodles 124

Hummus (prepared) 47

Cooked Ham 50

Ballpark Franks 90

Summer Sausage 95

Turkey Bacon 70

Pork Bacon 140

Polska Kielbasa (Pork) 95

Turkey Kielbasa 45

Canadian Bacon 30

Beef Jerky (Store-Bought) 80

Turkey Jerky (Store-Bought) 80

Pepperoni 130

Bagels 74

Roman Meal Bread 70

Sour Dough English Muffins 61

Corn Tortillas 67

Flour Tortillas 89

Pita Bread (White) 74

Nabisco Aircrisp Cheese Nip Crackers 125

Rold Gold Fat Free Pretzels 100

Dry Roasted Peanuts 160

Mixed Nuts 170

Cashews (shelled) 170

Cocktail Peanuts 170

Sunflower Seeds (shelled) 170

Cheese & PB Crackers 140

Jiffy-Pop Popcorn 135

Goldfish Crackers 135

Pringles 170

Fritos Corn Chips 160

Nacho Flavored Doritos 140

Ruffles Potato Chips 160

Fried Pork Rinds 175

Lays Potato Chips (plain or BBQ) 150

Ritz Crackers 158

Wheat Thins 140

Triscuits 135

Saltine Crackers 120

Melba Toast 100

French Fried Onions 180

Cracker Jack 120

Hershey’s Milk Chocolate 152

Hot Cocoa Mix 115

Sugar-Sweetened Lemon Drink Mix 107

Sugar-Sweetened Kool-Aid 98

Snickers Bar 136

Milky Way Bar 135

Butterfinger Bar 132

Baby Ruth Bar 132

Reese’s PB Cup 157

Peanut M&Ms 147

Plain M&Ms 140

Hershey Kisses 151

Jelly Beans 95

Almond Roca 163

Chocolate Covered Doughnuts 135

Powdered Doughnuts 120

Little Debbie Fudge Brownies 124

Little Debbie Cream-Filled Cupcakes 113

Little Debbie Nutty Bars 152

Oreo Cookies 136

Chips Ahoy Cookies 150

Fig Newtons 100

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 140

Instant Rice (e.g. Minute Rice) 102

Nonfat Dry Milk 98

Nondairy Creamer Powder 140

Wheat Chex 101

Corn Chex 103

Cheerios 103

Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal 98

Quick Cook Oats 100

Quick Grits 98

Quaker 100% Natural Cereal 129

Trix Cereal 115

Grape Nuts 100

Corn Flakes 100

Cap’n Crunch 112

Raisin Bran 92

Pop Tarts (Frosted Brown Sugar & Cinnamon) 117

Pop Tarts (All Other Flavors, Frosted or Non) 108

Cheese Whiz 83

Velveeta 90

Blue Cheese 110

Brie Cheese 90

Camembert Cheese 90

Longhorn Cheese 110

Monterrey Jack Cheese 110

Sharp Cheddar Cheese 110

Grated Canned Parmesan Cheese 110

Cream Cheese 100

Chex Mix (prepared per box directions) 130

Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding 100

Fortune Cookies 103

Marshmallows 90

Fruit Roll-Ups (Store-Bought) 100

Gainers Fuel 1000 (Protein/Carbo Powder) 100

Power Bars 100

Clif Bars 100

Quaker Chewy Granola Bars 110

Balance Bars 112

Nutri-Grain Bars 106

Bud Light Beer 9

Coffee or Tea 0

Lipton Rice & Sauce 102

Lipton Noodles & Sauce 116

Kraft Thick & Creamy Macaroni and Cheese 102

Kraft Original Macaroni & Cheese 104

Instant Potato Flakes 98

Pasta Roni 100

Rice A Roni 95