Re: Cold Blooded (was RE: Re[2]: [at-l] KC's pack contents)

     Sorry! No help here, I can only commiserate. Back in '79, I froze in
     my 20dF North Face Cat's Meow at Ice Water Springs (full) at 20dF, in
     a bivy sac, with socks, pants, wool shirt, 300 weight pile jacket, and
     a hot meal. But I just spent the night out (with wifie and kids!) at
     20dF in 20dF bags (North Face Cornice for Mommy and Daddy), in
     identical bivy sacs, just off a small ridge, on a breezeless night.
     Toasty toasty warm. Quick pizza meal 3 hours earlier, then hiked in
     3-4 miles after dark. Was warm anyway.

     I have always thought of myself as "cold blooded," but the way I have
     gained weight since my kids were born (I was up 50 pounds at one
     point), I think I've gotten a good hint about slowing (or more
     efficient{!}) metabolism. In '79, I was NEVER so warm that I seriously
     considered sending my bag home in favor of a blanket. In '98, I am not
     so sure!!!

     Sounds old, sure, but I'd say stay with the candy bar (high fat!),
     wool cap on head, sockies on da feet kind of thing. If your whole body
     sweats like my feet do (which is to say "Buckets day or night"), you
     may want to consider a VBL ala Stephenson. That might keep your 20dF
     bag good to 20dF.......?

Last month I read the sleeping bag review in Backpacker and now I am totally
confused. I always thought I was "hot blooded", i.e. my normal body
temperature runs high and I radiate like one of those quartz heaters set on
high, but at night I get cold QUICKLY. I've tried the normal solutions such
as candy bars before bedtime etc., but I still get cold. Backpacker called
this cold blooded???

Based on experience, does anyone out there have a suggestion for a sleep
system? I am considering adding a silk liner to a lightweight 20 degree down
bag just so I can be comfortable at 30 degrees...

Lee