Re: [at-l] who's ready?

Pat Villeneuve wrote:

> First someone called us all a bunch of lard bottoms or something like
> that (gee, thanks), and now it's true confession time about NOT hiking.
> Okay, I'll bite:  Who's fit--in trail-ready shape--TODAY?
>
> I am. Sometimes it helps being a section hiker.

I'm not. I camp 30+ nights a year, but very few of these are rigorous
hikes.  I won't be in trail shape when I start next March. I know that.
I'm planning on it. My first three weeks are easy. 6-8 miles in the plan
per day, one layover day every 3-5. I can certainly hike more miles,
stay shorter if I need to - I can also hike less miles and stay longer
if I need to. I'm ready for a tough, slow start.

I know that some people will start in better physical shape and will be
doing 15-20 mile days inside of three weeks. I know some will start in
better physical shape and will drop out by Neel's Gap.

I plan to finish my hike in Maine in the late summer - so if I have to
start slow to get into physical shape, that's fine.  I'm not in that big
a hurry :).

-Paddler (130 days and counting)