[at-l] AT Music

In the circuitous route Wanchor & I took from the Gathering back to Florida,
we ended up the following weekend in the Shenandoah National Park.  Had a
great breakfast at Panorama Restaurant, and I bought a CD of the music they
were playing in the restaurant.

The CD title is "Here on This Ridge, an acoustic instrumental celebration of
Shenandoah National Park, Volume I."  It's lovely music--dulcimers, flutes,
guitars, harmonica, keyboard, a bit of banjo.  Some are rearrangements of old
familiar pieces, and some are new, but I was delighted to find the following
on the liner notes about the third piece on the CD:

"3.  Hope of the Hike--(Appalachian National Scenic Trail)  Benton MacKaye's
early vision persists in myriad backpackers' lives.  A "thru-hike" on the
Trail is both linear and cyclic:  mile after mile of new joys remind one of
many past days' experiences.  The trekker progresses through rocky forested
passages; soon a great serene panorama emerges.  The walk resumes, and
evening's campsite affirms contented rest."

The rest of the liner notes relate every piece to the SNP, most to specific
sites, and many to hiking.  The producer and chief instrumentalist is Timothy
Seaman; he's pictured with his instruments AND his backpack.  I loved the
musical offerings at the Gathering, and it was nice to realize that there's
even more hiking music to be found.

Please bear in mind that I do not know and am not related to the guy, but if
anyone is interested, his name is Timothy Seaman and the address is 127 Winter
East, Williamsburg, VA 23188, phone 757/565-1461.

(And regarding the photo of Florida hiker babes, Earthworm & I were fighting
over who would get to hide from Solar Bear by crawling into her pack.  She
might have made it if I hadn't been so persistently trying to wrest it away
from her.)

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com