[at-l] (fwd by Milt for Jonathan Detert) viable 4 night/4 day backpack section-hike in Maine

Jonathan,

You could hike from Monson to Cooper Brook Falls--it's about 60 miles
through the section known as the 100-mile wilderness, some of the most
remote and beautiful miles of the Trail.  You'll see lots of moose,hear
loons on the lakes, and probably  even some bears.  Keith and Pat Shaw,
who run Shaw's Boarding Home in Monson (a hiker hostel) can probably
shuttle you. If you stay at their hostel a night, you can leave your car
with them, for free, while you hike, and they keep your keys in a safe
place. They can get to Cooper Brook Falls on a logging road and perhaps
meet you where the Trail crosses the road--it's a spot where they often
drop off food for hikers going all the way through the wilderness (I'll
be using this service later in August).  They charge for shuttles, but
the charge seems reasonable and besides, in Maine there isn't a lot of
public transportation so you don't have many other choices.

There's also info on other  people who will shuttle you on
www.trailplace.com

You could also hike from Baxter state park to Cooper Brook--that would be
about 40 or 50 miles, and Keith might be able to shuttle you that way,
too.

Keith and Pat's number is (207) 997-3597.  Their hostel is said to have
some of the best food and hospitality on the Trail.  My hiking partner
and I are heading up there in a week, and we're psyched!

happy trails,

Amazin' Grace