[at-l] weekend hiking

Just back from a very good weekend playing on Pennsylvania's rocks.
Given the distance, Jim and I decided that since we wanted to join the
hike on Sunday, we might as well go early and get a second day of hiking
in.  We backpacked from Greenpoint to 501 the first day, enjoying
gallons of fat juicy blackberries and black raspberries as we walked
(and I thought it was the rocks that made me slow - it was the constant
grazing as we walked - but who could resist?)  At the shelter we were
amazed to find 10 thruhikers in residence.  They called out for pizza,
so we decided to put the Liptons away and enjoy the food and
conversation.  Kahley came out just before dark to join us, and we
talked a while before going into the woods to set out our fleece
blanket/bags.  Sometime in the middle of the night we were woken by the
pitter patter of raindrops on our faces.  Jim hurriedly put up a tarp
and we enjoyed a peaceful, though somewhat damp, night until Kahley came
by in the morning. At the table, trail magic was given to day hikers and
thruhikers alike in the form of delicious apple cinnamon bread and
muffins brought by Kahley, and donuts brought by Solar Bear. The
thruhikers said that they just couldn't leave with all that bounty, so
we all sat around for a while talking, eating and getting several cars
shuttled to the far end. Among the intrepid cyber-hikers I was happy to
meet Pittsburgh and Solar Bear, Grey Owl, John and Denise and Chris.  We
took off across the rocks at about 9:00 - after a slight detour. That's
what we get for talking as we walk. Later on, Solar Bear and Pittsburgh
braved the rock piles, descending a very steep and nasty looking talus
slope in order to climb back up by the 500 or so Shower Steps. (My knees
took one look and said, No way!) The rests of us took a leisurely hike
along the recently relocated trail, and sat at a nice viewpoint at the
top of the steps awaiting their probable return.  (Given the steepness
of the boulderfield they were descending - their return was a bit iffy.)
As we waited, along came two backpackers going the other way - turns out
they knew us - it was Slim and Bogie, getting ready for their month long
section hike in Maine.  A short while later Pittsburgh and Solar Bear
appeared, only slightly winded, and we continued to a cool lunch spot
among the hemlocks at Hertlein Campsite.  Didn't go for a swim in the
reservoir, though it was almost hot enough.  Past the campsite the rocks
eased up a bit and we were able to cruise for a while up the hill and
down the far side on an old woods road.  Up came a day hiker who asked
if we were who he thought we were - turns out Captain Clay lives nearby
and had decided to join us, despite a bum knee.  We all hiked back to
the road and went on to the truck stop for dinner. As promised, Solar
Bear was generous enough to provide the hungry hikers with their supper,
and Kahley provided the pies.  We had a terrific time and were happy to
meet everyone and put faces to names and voices to some of the
personalities.  As usual - no one looks as expected, and everyone was as
interesting as expected. There was a general agreement that yes, we
would like to do it again, the question is when?  And maybe we can
arrange to go somewhere without the infamous Pennsylvania rocks?  What a
way to break in new boots!

Thanks for organizing it Pittsburgh, and thanks for feeding us so well
Solar Bear and Kahley, and thanks for being such good company to all.

Ginny