[at-l] free cell phone calls

At 10:16 PM -0400 07/24/98, Walt Daniels wrote:
>We will be doing Kinsman Notch to Gorham at the end of August but currently
>my father-in-law is very sick and old and may not make it that long. He may
>be gone before we leave but if not we need to be reachable while on the
>trail. We are considering buying or renting a cell phone for the 10 day or
>so if we get reports that they work in enough places alone that stretch to
>be useful. Obviously we don't expect much in the valleys, but conceivably
>the peaks are fairly good. Under normal circumstances I am opposed to
>technology in the wilderness, i.e. we don't currently have a cell phone.
>

>Walt Daniels

Cell phone is line of sight. works great from mtns but poor if in
some gorge surrounded by mtns.

If you only want to use a cell phone for emergency save yourself
all monthly charges. Just buy the cheapest cell phone you can.
You don't have to register with a cell phone company and nor pay
a monthly fee. You can dial emergency numbers out. Congress made
the cell phone company's charge other cell phone users for this
potentially lifesaving emergency technology and its free.

just check with the person you buy the cell phone from.

. -Bear Bells.