Re: [at-l] Stupid question

> From: Valerie Henderson <vlh1@acpub.duke.edu>
> Subject: [at-l] Stupid question
> Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 10:01 PM
>
> Ok, this is probably a kinda silly question, but how do you guys measure
> the weight of your gear?  I'm curious as to what the gear I've been using

> weighs and then maybe I can get a little bit better feel for the weights
> I see in catalogs and such.  Most of my current gear was inherited, and
> teh manufacturer usually doesn't make it any more (draw your own
> conclusions as to what vintage gear I'm using <g>), so I can't get the
> weights.  Thanks in advance!

I borrow my wife's kitchen scale.  I've never priced them, but I would
guess these are cheaper than postal scales, though undoubtedly not as
accurate.  It's been my experience that any inaccuracies in the weights of
individual items tend to cancel each other out.

For the whole pack, I use the bathroom scale.  If you can balance your pack
on the scale, you could just weigh it directly.  Otherwise, you can weight
yourself without the pack, then weigh yourself with the pack, and subtract
the difference.  If you do both, and come up with different weights, I'd
trust the second method more.

> BTW, probably going to do a weekend hike at Standing Indian next weekend
> to try out some of my new "toys" including an Esbit stove and some of my
> home made dehydrated "creations".  I'll let you know what I think.

Please do.

Peter