Re: [at-l] Stupid question

Valerie Henderson wrote:

> Ok, this is probably a kinda silly question, but how do you guys measure
> the weight of your gear?  I'm curious as to what the gear I've been using
> weighs and then maybe I can get a little bit better feel for the weights
> I see in catalogs and such.  Most of my current gear was inherited, and
> teh manufacturer usually doesn't make it any more (draw your own
> conclusions as to what vintage gear I'm using <g>), so I can't get the
> weights.  Thanks in advance!
>
> BTW, probably going to do a weekend hike at Standing Indian next weekend
> to try out some of my new "toys" including an Esbit stove and some of my
> home made dehydrated "creations".  I'll let you know what I think.
>
> Val

Valerie, we use postage scales to weigh the pieces (1 lb scale and a 10
lb scale) and the bathroom scale to weigh the total.  Usually there is
at least a couple lbs difference between the two.  Don't worry about not
having the manufacturers official weight - they lie (or mislead - like
the tent manufacturer that omits the stakes and stuff sack in the total
weight.)

Ginny