[at-l] dehydrading - a basic question

Another disasterous attempt at dehydrating, but at least the house
doesn't smell of rotten tomatoes this time.  I am getting closer this
time - I just have to figure out a few things.  1- most basic, do
you keep the vents open or closed when you are dehydrating?  The book
that comes with it doesn't say.  Also - to prevent small items like peas
from falling through the holes in the trays - do you think that covering
them with cheesecloth would work?  My unit doesn't have any solid trays
- just ones with holes big enough for the peas to fall through, into the
motor, as they dry.  HELP!  I want the vegetables to supplement our
pasta, but so far I'm batting zero.