Re: [at-l] Maine: 100-Mile Wilderness: For Your Information

Right, Walt, but be advised that some of the roads you speak of are not
many times passable unless you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle or logging
skidder.  The access road that passes by Gulf Hagas is at least maintained.

The corridor you speak of is 1000 feet wide to the Geological Survey
markers.  If you deviate from the AT through Gulf Hagas, you can always
follow either the west or east boundary in a southerly direction, and it
will take you back to the access road (the toll road).

Yup, chainsaws are there, so are logging trucks.  It's sometimes a busy
area on the logging roads.  And another point, I should have mentioned.  IF
you encounter a logging truck, THEY will take the right of way.  They
prefer to stay on the road and let you pull over.

Poor Writer a.k.a. Ern Grover
http://www.tick-tock.com/morgan.html

" Good judgement comes from experience - which comes from poor judgement ".

> Subject: RE: [at-l] Maine: 100-Mile Wilderness: For Your Information
> Date: Tuesday, July 07, 1998 1:07 PM
>
> Mostly true but there are a few misstatements. The AT is on NPS land in a
> decent width corridor. It is not wilderness in the sense that when we did
it
> we were rarely out of the sound of chainsaws or other logging equipment.
You