Re: [at-l] hiking in hunting season

Gammara asked:

> How dangerous is it to be on the trail during hunting season. Has a hiker ever
> been shot by accident by a hunter who mistook him for a deer or whatever? Jim
> * From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists
 *

Although the AT is supposed to be sacrosanct, it runs thourgh some hunting
areas.  Some states allow hunting with rifles which have a range much
further than a hunter can see.  Here in NJ deer hunting is allowed with
shotguns only which reduces their range.  Either way, you should wear some
safety orange so the hunter that has been using jack daniels to keep warm
doesn't think you are game (some of us are more game than others but that's
another post).  I think that the pack cover available from the ATC is safety
orange on one side.

The main thing is to be aware of the seasons and be prudent.  If you are
worried, just sing as you go down the trail.  If you get shot, you know it
was because of your singing and not an accident.

Happy (and safe) trails,

Rich