Re: [at-l] FYI - Live Free or Die

Bucky wrote:

> It's amazing how many chains a person can tolerate so long as
> the chains are heavier on their neighbors.

I've noticed that - I get strange looks when I refuse to wear a pager or
carry a cell phone even for work.  My boss wants to be able to contact
me ANY time - but I refuse to voluntarily wear those chains. And I won't
accept unnecessary or foolish legislation or regulation.  I may not be
able to stop it - but I can certainly let them know what I think of it.
The late "Backpack tax" discussion on at-l is a good example of what I
object to.

> >  "It's better to live one hour as a lion than a lifetime as a
> > jackal".
>
> A voice from a world that most people today can't even begin
> to comprehend:

A lot of the people on the Trail - and on the lists - were raised with a
level of regulation, taxes and restrictions that I find totally
objectionable - but they think it's normal because they've never known
anything else.  Americans talk a lot about "freedom" - but most of the
younger generations don't even really know what it is because they've
never had it. And that's not a hit on them - it's a hit on those of us
who allowed it to happen.

Walk softly,
Jim