Re: [at-l] tyvek

>I may be opening a can of worms here but I was wondering if anyone
>has had more opportunity to field test tyvek tarps since our discussions

funny you should ask... at least this is in the ballpark...
so, last night the sky went from light gray to charcol gray to black, there
was horizontal rain & the sirens were going off... the emergency broadcast
system beeped on the tv...
most of the tv stations had no programs on from 6p to 10p, & only featured
the doppler wars tracking the tornados, complete with live pictures on the
scene...

well, I grinned & said, it's time... to do a fieldtest-experiment with my
new homemade, THANKS MOM, tyvek poncho... I was out at least 35 minutes,
drenched, when the lightning & sirens finally chased me inside...
& it worked !!, my 1443R tyvek poncho kept me dry... when I took it off, my
100% cotton t-shirt was dry... my tyvek poncho weighs between 4.5oz & 5oz (I
still need to do an official weighing)... I might even consider
waterproofing it for more protection which may add 1/4-1/2 oz to the total,
but then again I may not have to do so... I realize this isn't a perfect
field test but it was a serious rain... I think I'm satisfied, I'm not
looking for perfection... my thinking is, that this can be part of my rain
system with my rain jacket, & will be especially useful in
wet-cold-hypotherimic rains to extend my rain jacket... or in mild rains it
can be the primary protection but will be a little cooler to wear... or in
summer I could take it & lose the jacket without concern, & I could use it
as a blanket in my sleeping bag as another layer when it's really cold out,
it feels softer than nylon & isn't noisy...

btw, in case you don't have sirens where you live... every friday morning at
~11:05a all year long, they test the sirens to make sure the system works...
they sound like those old world war two movies when the air raid sirens went
off in london... well, with the sirens & even tho the tv stuff is boring...
no deaths, 100 homes destroyed... prevention & warnings do work...

safe travel / will / the green ghost.