Re: [at-l] I've always relied on the kindness of strangers...

>I would probably stop to help most
>people, but that doesn't invalidate the question - with so many people
>around to help, is it still a valid criticism to say that "your screw-up
>will ruin my hike"

It may change your plans, but it will not "screw up" your hike.

Having read various accounts of the Everest tragedy (including "Into Thin
Air") I am relatively familiar with the circumstances in which the tragedy
occurred. This was in many ways a LIFE OR DEATH situation for all parties
involved.

There may similarities between Thru hiking and a mountaineering expedition
such as Everest, but coming across an injured party is not one of them. I
don't see the circumstances that you will encounter a wounded hiker on the
AT to be enough for "your screw up to ruin my hike"

Because of time constraints due to high altitude and lack of O2 any delay
could mean not making it back to safety. It is also true that any injury
that would happen in those serious conditions IS life threatening. When a
climber approaches an injured person in these conditions there are two
major considerations that factor into choosing to help someone. A) Will
this person live even if I do help them?  B) Will I live it if I put the
effort into helping this person? (unfortunately we see that there can also
be a third - will this keep me feom the top)

This critical decision has to be made - I really don't have the experience,
or wisdom to give this decision the proper justice it deserves - I can only
define it after drawing from the experience of others (like Krakauer) - and
it is one that I hope I never can due justice to.

At the point in the Everest expeditions that these tragedies took place any
move other than the planned itinerary could mean death for the climber.
The decision to leave behind someone (or pass by them) could be the
decision that saves your life.

Thru hiking (and hiking in general) is not a game of seconds, it's a game
of hours, days & weeks. In my mind if you run across an injured hiker it is
your obligation to help out - THERE IS NO LIFE THREATENING REASON NOT TO!!
If your only out for a weekend hike - go back and redo the trail the next
weekend.  If your on a longer hike, pick up your pace or just stay on the
trail a little longer.

The range of basic trail emergencies is also small enough that anyone can
gain the knowledge to deal with them.  There are many courses offered as we
have seen here before, and I'd hope that anyone who spends as much time
planning and thinking about hiking as we do here on the list spend a bit of
that effort on learning how to properly react to these situations.

-Chris Casciano
christopher.casciano@prudential.com
http://www.rit.edu/~cac6982/
http://mhz.njit.edu/~cac6982/ <-- HikeNJ...when the snipes get finished!