[at-l] internal vs external packs

I agree that external packs are easier to organize and they may be
cooler in warm weather (I sweat regardless of what kind of pack I am
carrying) - but after carrying an internal for two years, whenever I try
on an external I am struck by how limited your arm movements are. With
an internal, you can move your whole body a lot more easily - with an
external, I keep hitting my arms against the frame, and when trying to
climb rocks (as in New Hampshire and Maine) the external was often hard
to maneuver in difficult places.  Of course, I carried a big pack. My
solution, for now, is to carry an internal that has pockets. It's a bit
less maneuverable than a single bag pack, but easier to find things in.
One other consideration is that externals may (but aren't always) be
lighter than many of the internals.
Ginny