RE: [at-l] Doing the AT on Mountain Bikes?

It is illegal everywhere except:
  1) some brief stretches where the trail is on public roads, e.g. over
bridges
  2) A short piece north of Harpers Ferry where it is on the C&O Canal Path.

You might get away with it briefly before someone reports it. At that point
I can guarantee that a law officer will be waiting at every road crossing
where you are suspected of being.