Re: [at-l] Records

All of the 22 thru hikers I talked to last weekend thought Andrew's speed
hike was cool, as did everyone they'd talked too. Several got to talk to
Andrew and a couple took a break at a view with him. They also thought
his hike had no more to do with their hike than day hiking, just someone
else enjoying the trail his own way. The two or three that missed him
were disappointed. Most said they'd be able to say "I thru hiked in 98,
the year the record was broken". They all hoped to see Sam when he comes
through. None thought speed hiking could ever endanger the AT. All were
concerned that someone would want to regulate any kind of hiking. In my
opinion if we outlaw speed hiking what kind of hiking will we outlaw
next? How fast is too fast, what is the correct way to hike and who
decides what's right for the rest of us?

woodelf