Re: [at-l] eyewear

Highlander,

I get glasses that have a variable length focus --not normal bifocals or
trifocals.  The lower part of the glass has a short focal length for
reading, and the upper part a near-infinite focal length.  Instead of
moving your head, you just shift your eyes.  Works quite well, though it
typically takes a few days to get used to.  When hiking, you glance
downward with your eyes and the area around your feet is in focus,
shifting your gaze upwardallows you to see clearly more distant objects.
This also works very well while driving (glance downward with eyes only
to read the instruments, look straight ahead to see the road).  The only
time I've noticed a problem is while lying on the floor on my back trying
to watch TV, in which case its natural to look though the lower part of
the glasses, which are at too short a focus to see the TV image clearly.
---terry---