Re: [at-l] Permits to thru hike?

At 8:00 PM -0400 6/3/98, Davis624@aol.com wrote:
><<<<I can't believe one coult get 14 states
>to agree on anything that would stop there own people from visiting their
>state park and allow an outsider to enter.>>>
>
>its not a state park, the corridor of the at is a national scenic trail under
>federal jurisdiction... the original and one of less than a dozen

Well, it would be amusing what happens and governs when the AT route goes
through towns. In NJ, different rules apply in different parts.

In the worthington state park section, NJ does not let you camp on trail, then
in the next federal part you can, then in the next state part ( Stokes and
high point you can't) even on the same Ridge line on the AT in NJ as
your pass between the "federal" and "state" parts one gets different rules.

And in areas even the Ranger says they are under joint juristiction (sp) and
not national.. The AT cross "private" lands, etc. It should be interesting to
see where "check-points". I am all for an Eagle pass type fee that allows
entrance to ALL Federal and State Parks. I don't see that yet??

We get hundreds if not thousands of visitors to many areas. I guess we'll need
Check point charlie with 10 subway fare type turnstiles?

BTW, I have no problem with user fees as long an one can mail in and get
the coupon  or on the internet!!  and spardioc checks are made like
fishman tags.  It's a $50 fine if they catch ya cheating or whatever.

Do I think their will be control at Clingman's Dome.. now the people are
already over the tower in herds.