[at-l] RE: tents

Nicole Markee wrote:

> We also have a Half-Dome.  We don't use this tent very often.  It has
room
> for a gear attic, which is nice, but we find it horribly stuffy and
> underventilated.  Over Labor Day weekend last year, we got puddles from
> condensation in the tent when the temperature dropped overnight, and
that's
> with the rain fly off.  We might try it in the winter since it seems to
> hold heat well.

I would expect condensation with the rainfly off.  If you leave the rainfly
on, I think you will find that the condensation passes through the tent and
forms on the bottom of the fly (which is why it is important to have a
taught fly!).  Sometimes, this condensation drips from the fly back on the
tent (don't touch those tent walls!) which can be a problem with tents
using mosquito netting as material for the tent wall (drip, drip, ugh).

When I used to backpack in the high Sierras without a tent, the top of my
sleeping bag would sometimes (usually/always) be wet from condensation
(sometimes it would be frozen!).  I've never really been able to beat
condensation (perhaps I give off above-average perspiration?)

In that case, I'd look at the SD Orion CD, which I believe is the
lightest-weight free-standing tent manufactured by SD.  Again, I'd weigh
the tent myself.  SD under-reports the weight of their tent (or so it seems
to me).  However, if it's much over 5 lbs, I'd probably go with a
non-freestinding tent (but then, that is a judgement call you will have to
make for yourself).