Re: [at-l] Washing wool

gail b johnson wrote:

> Wool is easily washed with Woolite or even dishsoap (not regular soap,
> however..wrong ph), but I didn't wash my sweater at all on my through
> hike.  Wool has a great way of shedding dirt and not retaining odors, [...]

It's interesting to see this discussion of wool clothing ... a while backI mentioned
in another context something about using wool clothing,
and I got chastized for being "behind the times".  It seems "most" people
don't use wool any more, in favor of a variety of newer synthetics which
are supposed to have similar "warmth when wet" properties.

It sounds like there are still some who prefer wool ...

BTW, hello everyone!  I see from the list subscription info that we're supposed
to introduce ourselves when we sign up.  I just signed up a few days ago.  I have
not hiked the AT, and probably won't be able to in the near future (career
committments
and all that), but I dream of doing so some day.  In the meantime I'll just live
vicariously
through the rest of you if you don't mind :-).

At this point I live in Massachusetts.  I've hiked portions of the AT in New
Hampshire's
White Mountains and in extreme western Maine (the Mahoosucs) over a number of
years.

I'll do the whole trail some day, even if it's after I retire :-) ... hopefully
it'll still be there
and worth hiking by then ...

-Bill

--