[at-l] Bashing/Flaming

Hi Gang,

Boy am I tried of this topic, but being me I have to put in my two
cents worth.  Go ahead and delete now if you are not intereseted.  In
stead of hitting the reply button early this morning and posting in
the ehat of anger, I thought I would calm down and reply rationally.

First let me say that I have not thru hiked on the AT nor am I
plannning to do so in the near future.  I hike the AT in sections as
well as hiking other trails that are within a couple of hours of
Easton, PA.  The opiniona expressed here are mine and mine alone and
if you disagree with them e-mail me directly.  Do not clog up the
list.  This is the only hiking list that I subscribe to and I want to
read about hiking and trail related stuff.

Bashing (flaming) on the list.  Hey guys (and gals) life is short.
Get a gripe on yourself.  Go for a hike.  There are a group of people
who have been converted (?) to a certain hiking philosophy and they
express it on the list.  THe subgroup that have the most extreme
views illicit the most bashing.  Hey, I've slackpacked, no packed,
fanny pack, day packed and back packed.  I've white blazed , blue
blazed and yellow blazed.  I slept in tents, in shelters, under the
stars and in rice paddies (oops, different time and place).  HIKE
YOUR OWN HIKE!!

I will admit that I was siappointed in the purity thrad.  I had
visions of Druid Vorgins pancing up and down the AT in diaphanous
gowns.  When I learned what the thread was I really about I hit the
delete button.  I also hit the delete button when I see postings from
certain individuals.  Some of them appear to be instigators of the
bashing.  The delete button is a wonderful thing.

Back to hiking.  Hike your own Hike.  I have been reading ajournals
on the Trailplace Homepage.  Several of the journals have disappeared
and I assumed these individuals have come off the trail.  Others have
changed their plans and philosophy about hiking.  Let's face it , the
AT will kick your rear end both mentally and physically.  If one does
not adapt to the trail then one will not finish.

Bob Dudley
Grey owl
12 Straight days of rain :-(