Re: [at-l] Attn: veggie thru-hikers

Nicole Markee wrote:

> What do the rest of you think?  If you didn't eat dairy, eggs or meat, how
> would that change your food bag?

You're gonna have to eat pasta.  And I'd think you'll probably eat better
if you do some dehydrating too.  I think most little stores sell plain noodles
although they might not be the fastest cooking.  Skinny noodles and spagetti
cook quick and save on fuel weight.
If you add some dried veggies and beans to it and spice and oil you
can eat like a queen!  One of my favs is pasta with dried tomatoes,
green peppers, and onions.  Spice it with tomato powder and basil.
Add pecans and drizzle with walnut oil.  Gawd I loooove this meal.
Another...rice and white beans with lemon juice,  course pepper ,and
parsley drizzled with squeeze marg (do you eat squeeze marg?).
Or rice and beans with died tom,onion, and sweet peppers with
chili spice.
If you dehyd the beans and put them in your maildrops along with
small ziplocks of spices and nuts you can get by between supermarkets.
I often go through ovo-lacto phases and when i hike during one of
these phases, my food bag is much heavier because I usually pack
fresh fruits and vegies.  But that weight is gone after the first day
or so.  I've never been stictly vegan...could not live without butter
and milk...the willing gifts of the cow.<<G>>
BTW...whatever concoctions you come up with try them at home first!!!!