Re: [at-l] Ground cloth

Tom,

Thanks for your post about the uses of garbage bags.

During my trip to Nashua yesterday, I also bought some black 42 gallon,
3-mil thick construction garbage bags.  (I decided to go to this heavier
construction compared to the normal thinner 30 gal garbage bags that I
have used in the past for "waterproofing" my pack.) These bags are large
enough (50" long and 30" wide) that one might be able to make a ground
cloth by splitting one lengthwise to produce a single sheet that would be
50" by 60", then taping two such sheets together and trimming.  The
garbage bag sheeting is even slicker that then smooth side of the Tyvek
which might be a slight drawback.  Perhaps someone knows of an adhesive
that could be used to join two sheets of this stuff securely together?

I'm not currently able to measure/calculate the weight per square foot
difference between this 3 mil plastic and the Tyvek--they roughly appear
to be about the same, but I may be mistaken. Home Depot sells plastic
sheeting (precut and packaged in various sizes) in weights of 6 mil, 3
mil, and other. Even though two  construction-duty garbage bags probably
have a prorated cost less than 50 cents, compared to several dollars for
a plastic sheet, the difference is in fact only a few dollars, so given
the time/effort (and uncertainty of Tyvek waterproofness or of attaching
two plastic garbage bag sheets together), the best solution for a ground
cloth might be to just buy a sheet of 3 mil plastic, and cut it to size.

I considered the possibility of using a poncho in the dual capacity of a
ground cloth, but I felt most ponchos were too heavy and did not like the
idea of expecting to wear a poncho as rain protection that was also being
pressed into duty as a ground cloth. Besides I had enough of muddy
ponchos in the Army, and I already have a nice Gore-tex parka shell.
(Note:  ever worn a poncho in a really heavy windstorm while walking? --
ugh!)

I've heard of people using mylar space blankets (emergency blankets) for
ground cloths. Such blankets are available in at least  two models.  One
model is very compact, light, and THIN.  I wouldn't trust it to hold up
under use as a ground cloth, but maybe someone else has experience to the
contrary (I've never owned one.)  The other model space blanket is much
bulkier, heavier, and thicker, presumably due  to some sort of
reinforcing layer of plastic or nylon -- it seems somewhat like those
general purpose tarps with grommets (usually blue in color) that one
sees, and which are often sometimes used as ground cloths.  This model of
space/emergency blanket looks substantial enough to withstand use as a
ground cloth, but there would seem to be no weight savings over a similar
sized tarp, though one would have a backup cold weather emergency support
system.

Of course one could also spend $30-$50 for a custom nylon ground cloth
designed for specific models of tents. ( I have not checked them out.)

So right now, I'm planning to experiment with the Tyvek, but I suspect
I'll end up with buying a piece of 3 mil plastic sheeting and trimming it
to my tent floor size (actually cutting the sheet about an inch shorter
in length and width to keep it from extending beyond the floor of the
tent, where it would be more likely to catch and collect a pool of water
-- plus this saves another fraction of an ounce without drilling any
holes :>) .).

Will look forward to any report from your plastics experts that you can
share with us.
---terry---