[at-l] Re: NYC: Metro-North to AT?

I don't know about the Hudson Line but the Harlem Line train tracks
actually cross the AT (or visa versa).  I also know that you cannot get
picked up at the AT stop, just dropped off, and then you must notify the
conductor in advance.  There are other stops near the AT east of the
Hudson, the closest is Pawling, about 2 miles South on Rt 22 from the AT
crossing.
        I'm sure you can get public transport up the West side of the
Hudson, train or bus that will drop you very near the AT, but I've never
tried it.

Blackflies--yep, they're here up to about 2500ft in Northern Mass as of
5/2/98.  My suggestion is lightweight nylon long pants and shirt.  If you
keep moving you can usually out run them; I've actually looked back and
seen them following me...  For stops, I wear a head net.  If I'm going to
try and eat, I pitch my tent.  Depending on your level of tolerance, you
mileage may vary.  At night they go away and are replaced by mosquitoes.

An update for you blue blazers, the Williams College Outing Club (not a
militant gay rights group) is constructing a new trail, the "Class of '98
Trail", that will--in conjunction with other trails--form a short loop from
the AT to Pine Cobble Lookout (the last NB view point in Mass) and back.
We start work Saturday, and we expect to complete it by early June. Ahh!
trail work and blackflies, if you're good, you can swat them off the back
of your neck with a rock bar.

Happy Tails,

Cosmo

Cosmo Catalano, Jr.