Re: [at-l] Warning: long post for women hikers

At 06:52 AM 5/6/98 EDT, you wrote:
  A concealed weapon, by it's very
>definition, is not a deterent to crime.

No but as a last resort the bullet that comes out of it is an excellent
deterent. :-)

 And the affect on the situation is
>based only on a persons knowledge of/abillity with, said weapon.  I am more
>interested in prevention.

Absolutly correct on both !!! The gun would be used as a last reort when
the prevention didnt prevent. I am not saying carrying a gun is a must. But
I certainly would not condemn anyone for it especially a woman hiking
alone. If it were my wife or daughter I would insist on it. And yes both
are very competent with a handgun.

  (and the weapon issue is probably best avoided,
>like politics and religeon.)

I disagree on this point Patty. Nothing political about discussing self
protection on the trail. Just because there are different views of guns,
cell phones etc. doesnt make it anymore political then different views on
the best insect repelent, cookware etc.

  Do you rig the zipper of
>your tent with bells for early warning, or set some other kind of trap?  My

All this would do is insure that you are awake to see the begining of the
attack. Unless you had a gun to stop it.  :-)

>late husband was a Norfolk cop for 24 years, (and yes, he called himself a
>'cop'.)

One of my best friends is a retired cop. He also calls himself a "cop".

>I have to admit, I was very surprised when the Redhead told me that lots of
>women hike alone.  At first I was very skeptical about the advisability of
>that.

Personally I dont think it is a good idea. I think it is asking for trouble
especially in some parts. And NO I'm not being sexist here. Just real. I
think the wilderness areas would be safer. Areas where roads make access
easier I think are more dangerous. From what I have read about locally its
not the backpackers that are the problem. Its the local drunks and no goods
that walk back into the woods from thier car and find someone or follow
them from a road crossing. The Shenandoah National Park has a fair share of
crime. I have never heard of any caused by backpackers. Just locals
wondering back the trails. A couple of years ago two female backpackers
were murdered on the AT in the SNP. Sure everyone heard about that. The
cops think it was someone who followed them back there. BTW they had a dog
and the dog was killed also. Of course it probably wasnt an attack dog.

 Then I realized that I have been limiting myself for a long time now,
>placing some of my favorite activities (such as camping), out of reach now
>that I am alone.

Join a local club and go as a group. The Potomac Appalacian Trail club
probably has a local chapter down your way. Check the web page for one.
<http://www.patc.simplenet.com>

                           Daryl Cline WB4YEX
                            Harrisonburg, Va.
                  Web page: <http://www.cfw.com/~clines>