Re: [at-l] Blackflies, Already?

Paddy Beer wrote:

> I think that I saw some reference to Blackflies already being out in NH or ME.
> I am planing a trip next week (from 5/13 to Memorial Day) on the AT in CT, MA
> and VT (between Killington and NH).  I had understood that we were early
> enough to avoid these monsters.  ANyone have any info on this?

Yup. At the lower elevations in southern Maine, the blackflies are out. The
spring was warm and wet, just what they like. For those folks who think that
this means we will have an earlier end to the season...yuk, yuk. There are not
many mosquitoes out yet though.

The best protection is to cover up your skin with light colored clothing with
tight fitting cuffs and if you can stand it, either deet or a headnet. If your
cuffs are not tight - duct tape them.

The color of your clothing makes a huge difference with black flies. Wear
white or yellow first, then grey or tan. Stay clear of royal blue. We call it
blackfly blue.  You can actually test this with a couple of bandanas. Bring a
blue one and a yellow one. Hang both out of your back pocket while you hike -
assuming you are well sealed off from the beasts. The blue one will leterally
be swarming with flies. The yellow one will be virtually left alone.

I don't know why it works, but it does.

-Paddler (GA>ME 99)