[at-l] smell that smoke?

Kurt Russell wrote:

>      I've been thinking (smell that smoke?) about all the salient points of
> the cell phone debate, which has become doubly interesting now that both
> list administrators are discussing it openly. (An aside - Aren't they
> setting a good example of discussion? Thanks and kudos to both.)

Kurt -
Something else to think about - NOBODY has seemed to realize that
thruhiking and dayhiking/weekending are two entirely different worlds.
It's one thing for a dayhiker or a weekender to carry a cell phone.
It's an entirely different proposition for a thruhiker to do it. I don't
frankly give a damn whether anyone else carries one or not - as long as
they keep it away from me.

Amazing Grace wrote -
>I did it because it felt like there was a "place" I needed to get >to--not a physical place, but an >emotional/psychological/spiritual/philosophical one.

> Everything I'm doing now--my work, where I live, my life partner, my
> general outlook on life--is a direct result of walking the Trail.  And
> it's all good.  It has brought nothing but good into my life.

I'd give big odds that Amazing Grace didn't carry a cell phone and
didn't feel any need for one. Anyone who doesn't understand how carrying
one (even if it's never used) would change their hike simply isn't ready
for a thruhike.  Those who think that "safety-on-the-trail" can be
assured by the presence of a cell phone are simply not mentally or
emotionally prepared for a long hike.

So those who want/need them should carry their cell phones and quit
bothering those of us who don't need or want them. You're welcome to
your "safety net", but don't expect those of us who are willing to
accept the risks involved in thruhiking to accept a cell phone as one of
the "necessities" of life. We've grown beyond that -

Walk softly,
Jim
Bald Eagle, AT-92