[at-l] 4/17/97 journal

4/17/97
Hiked 12.5 miles today to Carter Gap. It snowed late last night, or should
i say early this morning. I was tarped up next to the shelter and was
fine. Cold morning though. It is very cold right now as well. I am at the
shelter with Little Soul, Peace Train, and Brad. Today at Deep Gap there
was another feast. Two thru-hikers from '93 named Dream Catcher and View
Chaser put it on. Delicious chili, bean burrito, CANTELOPE!!! and other
assorted goodies. They are fire fighters in Sarasota, FL. Trail magic
strikes again. Today's hike was awesome. Not many ups and downs. It was
cold starting out - it was the first time i've worn my jacket while
hiking, but it warmed up. My knees did not give me any problems and after
i took my thick sock off, my achilles tendon soreness went away (mostly).
That was Dream Catcher's idea. I've gone a total of 90.9 miles - i'll
break 100 tomorrow. We were talking about that and i was like "Another
week or two and we'll only have 2,000 to go!" I'm just taking things day
by day, and it's great. I still feel rushed every once in awhile, but then
i just think about how much further i have to go. Hopefully it will start
warming up soon so that i can write more. When it's dark and this cold, i
just want to sleep (especially after a 12.5 mile day). So i am off to bed.
Night night.

-Rambleon-
rambleon@email.unc.edu