[at-l] Trail Relo

The trail relocation over Pond Mtn. has been done for several years now --
the road walk is now merely crossing Hwy 321.  The old trail on top of Pond
was circuitous, steep, and left one with a lot of backtracking down Hwy 321
so as to get around Watauga Lake.  The trail is now a 5-6 mile walk up and
back down Pond Mtn., and it comes out right where one needs to be to hike
around the lake.  Some thruhikers choose to blue blaze (There's a one mile
blue blazed trail that departs from the AT at the point the trail begins
the climb up Pond Mtn., going North.  The side trail hits 321, and it's
only a 2 mile hike to catch the trail again as it comes off Pond at Watauga
Lake.  From what I've read in shelter registers, some hikers prefer not to
do the 6 mile up and back down of Pond when they can go around it in 3
miles)

Going down Pond (going North) is pretty easy, with good trail and plenty of
switchbacks.  The problem is that only half of the trail could be
relocated/updated with switchbacks.  The Trail up the side of Pond (going
North) is only half finished, leaving some steep climbing towards the top.
To finish out the work, the trail club submits a proposed route, site
inspections checking for endangered species of plants and animals must be
done by the Forestry Service, and a new proposed route must be submitted
each time one is found.  The process can take years, from what I hear, and
then there's the other sticky -- since it's wilderness, no mechanical
devices can be used (like chainsaws).

Still, I've hiked up Pond a couple of times, and even though i may cuss and
sweat, the Pond Flats are worth the climb.  I saw a bunch of deer the first
time I went.  Whatever works for you...

Mountain Dewer