RE: [at-l] Beer at Trailfest

> Earl is a lifelong teetotaler, a promise he made to his mom and has kept.
> Trailfest is not "no beer", just not a beer bash. We just want everyone to
> know beforehand that "getting drunk" (the goal many thru-hikers
> heading for
> Trail Days have voiced in recent years) is not the theme of Trailfest.
> Helping Earl celebrate his anniversary is this year's Trailfest theme.--WF

Jeez Dan

You need to lighten up a little bit. What is the big deal of making an issue
of folks tossing back a few every now and then.  I'll bet you any amount of
do-re-me that you want to put up that lots of the solid upstanding citizens
of Hot Springs indulge now and again.  Many of them probably keep it hidden
out in the smokehouse because they promised their "mommy" that they would
never bring it into the house.

Seriously though.  If you want to have a most unsuccessful "fest" just keep
putting out the word that this and that is frowned upon.  Most of us could
care less about what is frowned upon so long as we are paying our own way.

If you ask me, (and I know that you didn't), making an assumption that many
thru-hikers would be heading for Hot Springs just to get smashed makes no
sense at all.  Indeed, it is my belief that most thru-hikers, (past and
present), will be heading for Hot Springs to  meet and fellowship with
friends in the hiking community and to meet and talk with yourself, Earl and
many of those who, along with yourself, have worked so hard to bring this
Trailfest together.

The excitement that we all feel in planning to attend this inaugral event
should in no way be dampened by exhortations to us all to be on our best
behavior.  I feel that is a given and that we do a pretty damn good job of
policing ourselves.

Most of us can read pretty good and signs posted in conspicuous places
concerning the law in Hot Springs as it pertains to the consumption of
alcohol is all that is needed. I am not attempting to make light of your
concerns but neither do I wish to be lectured, singly, or as a member of our
hiking community.

Be advised also that inasmuch as Trailfest is open to the public, I intend
to make my own judgement concerning behavior which I consider to be
appropriate or not.

Having said that, if everyone bringing beer to Trailfest wishes, they are
most welcome to check it with me at my camp for the duration of the
festivities.  After the closing ceremonies, you may all stop back by and if
there is any left I'll give it back to you.

From the "timber rattlers nest", know me to be your friend.

'tricknee'