Re: [at-l] Re: guns

At 01:53 PM 4/16/98 EDT, you wrote:
>In NONE of the instances, were someone was murdered on the AT, would a
handgun
>have prevented their death.
>
>Hiking into a shelter after dark, with a hiker inside who is armed and afried
>of every sound he/she hear's. Think of the death toll. The headlines would
be:
>ANOTHER HIKER SHOT ON THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
>
>Leave the firearms at home. It is unlawful, to carry one in most areas along
>the AT.
>
>In 1989 at the West Mountain Shelter(NY) there was a hiker shot. His story
was
>someone had fired though the back of the shelter as he was sitting up,
>reading.
>This hiker and his hiking partner were not very smart. The shelter is made
out
>of stone and morter. What happen was his hiking partner was playing with the
>gun, he was carrying, and it fired accidently.
>
>Wildbill
>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists

Agreed. I made my statement tongue in cheek to the person who was trying to
equate guns with cell phones. Most the dead bodies in the SNP come from
Babylon-on-the-potomac as I understand it.

                           Daryl Cline WB4YEX
                            Harrisonburg, Va.
                  Web page: <http://www.cfw.com/~clines>
          Outdoor pictures:  <http://www.cfw.com/~clines/outdoors>