[at-l] Trail Blazes and trail preferences

My 4 day trip this weekend on the PA AT was great, but I had one burning
complaint/question.  What is the standard distance for applying trail
blazes to trees or other trail landmarks?  The section I hiked was
maintained by 2 different trail clubs.  The first maintained section is
much smaller (only 11.5 miles) than the second and was well marked (a blaze
every 20').  The second section (covering 60+ miles) was not well marked.
Many times I would head down the trail hoping a white mark would appear or
would look behind myself hoping the other direction was better marked.

My intent isn't to complain.  I would like to volunteer time to the second
club.  I want to know if there is a blaze standard, so I could suggest it
to the club and do some blazing myself.

Usually the trails are obvious.  It's the beaten path through the woods,
but in some places where the ground was wet alternate trails have been
created.  Soon it becomes a maze of alternate trails avoiding the
waterlogged original.  It was tough at times to find where the original
(AT) went.

This brings up another question.  In situations of wet trails (or other
obstacles for that matter), should alternates be discouraged or adopted?
If I were to volunteer, how would I proceed solutions.  The club probably
has rules and committees for this, but what's the opinion out there?

Personally I like to keep impact as little as possible (don't we all?).
Alternate trails impact new areas of the woods, and the original has to
recover.  The woods are resilient, but we can't make an alternate and
expect recovery every time we run into obstacles.   If alternates are
adopted what is done for the old path.  I came across a few newly blazed
alternates, but the old path was still very evident.  Should old blazes be
covered with brown paint or what?

I'm sorry this is getting long, but my hike gave me a lot to think about.

What's the opinion on obstacles and difficult sections?  Are foot bridges,
steps, and other such aids welcomed or do we prefer the natural path? It's
probably a combination of the 2.  I like aids here and there, because it
gives me more time to view the surroundings around me - I don't have to
worry about soaking my foot or falling on my face.  Other places I like the
natural way, because it adds to the experience.  I guess I answered my own
question there.  Well if you have any thoughts, please share.

relam