Re: [at-l] Footwear and trailrunning

Well, another lurker bites the dust.  I'd like to add some comments to
this thread on footwear.

Years ago, I met a backpacker on the AT who used both running shoes and
hiking boots.  He told me that he if the day's hike was more uphill than
down, he wore the running shoes and carried the boots, and if the day's
trek was mostly downhill he wore the boots.  I don't recall which he
preferred when the balance was about even.

My own hiking experience during the past 10 years has mostly been day
hikes and a few 1-5 day trips in the mountains and desert of Big Bend and
also in southern Arizona (the Huachuca mountains and desert near Bisbee,
Toomstone, and Sierra Vista.).  During these hikes I've generally used a
variety of running shoes with good success.  There main advantage for me
was 1) light weight and agility, especially going uphill into the
mountains (sometimes scrambling over rocks, but never snow/ice) 2)
comfort -- no blisters, etc. since I also wore these same shoes daily for
casual dress and activities like biking, walking around town, etc.  The
main disadvantage seems to me to be in lack of protection from 1) thorns
(as in cactus and other desert plants) and 2)  nicks and twists when
going downhill on loose rocks, where the lack of ankle support exposes
you to getting banged by loose rocks, or having the foot twist out due to
the gravel/rock underneath giving way, with the possibility of twisting
the foot/ankle due to lack of support.

Now that I've moved East (near Boston), I'm considering hiking sections
of the AT, as well as Vermont's Long Trail, and I plan to use running
shoes on some weekend backpacking trips here.  If they continue to work
out OK , then I'll probably stick with them for a longer outing.  Of
course this is for trails without snow and temps above freezing.  I
couldn't image using running shoes if one expected to encounter snow/ice
or freezing temperatures during the day.

By the way I'm 6', 200 lb. +.  My pack weights have not been over 45 lbs.
(and usually much less) when using running shoes.

---Terry---