[at-l] Girls Are Better Than Boys

...At least for scouting, after yesterday's California Supreme Court decision.

Okay, I won't disagree with the principle that led the court to the
decision--BSA is a private club, so they have a right to provide their own
guidelines for membership.  I really have no problem with the conclusion or
logic behind their decision.  It just made me aware that there is something
rather rotten at the core of Boy Scouting.

I just can't believe that BSA argued before court that the lessons to teach
our youngsters are homophobia and religious intolerance.  That's where the
Girl (Scouts) are better than the Boys.  For them, homosexuality and diversity
of beliefs are just a few of aspects of the population served.  Indeed, the
Girl Scouts go beyond this and actively promote self-esteem, regardless of
personal identity.

Now, I understand that some folks involved with Boy Scouting don't feel these
issues count--or simply ignore them.  On the other hand, that's a way of
sending mixed messages to the scouts, a bit of hypocracy when you are trying
to pass on values of honesty to children.

Well, I guess it must be time to get myself flamed again.  But frankly, this
issue has me pretty concerned--so I figured it might be time to dicuss it on
the list, since so many writers are involved in scouting.  If I had children,
I would have serious concern about getting them involved with Boy Scouting at
this point--in spite of all the other good lessons kids learn scouting.  Maybe
an alternative scouting organization should be founded--maybe the TBS
(tolerant boy scouting) club of America.

Another great thought about Girl Scouts--I love those S'mores!

Mary