[at-l] Surveying LNT - Please read!

Hello All -

Over the last few weeks I have posted a series of fifteen messages that
give my (sometimes warped!) perspective on the national "Leave No Trace"
minimum-impact backcountry use education program.

I have been involved in LNT training since '93 and have had a chance to
pitch the message to a fairly wide variety of audiences.   I have grown a
little concerned that the basic LNT message is so complex that we are
simply missing a lot of those folks who have come to depend on TV "sound
bites" and trailhead posters to stay abreast of outdoor issues.

I tend to value this list (AT-L or ATML!) because many of the subscribers
are willing to dig a little deeper and to take a little time to sort out
(and share!) the issues that are important to all of us.  A lot of these
issues relate to the gear and logistics (and humor!) of our favorite
sport...but more than a little also concerns the philosophical and ethical
underpinnings that help bring long-term value to what we do in the
backcountry.

The feedback to the LNT postings (public and private) has been informative
and sometimes surprising (who knows which way a thread will go...ever blown
up a whale? <VBG>).  As expected, I saw some new (important!) reactions to
the LNT philosophy and have some new (good!) questions to ask of the
various true experts I run into.

As a LNT trainer I also have a "selfish" request to make of EVERYONE on the
list.  I need to get a better idea of how this type of presentation works
in getting out the LNT message.  I have developed a simple survey sheet
that will, I hope, help me figure out improved ways to present (what I
think is) an important message to (who I think are) some important people.
I would like to ask everyone on the list to take a little time and give me
some direct feedback on what worked and what didn't for each of you.

I will post the actual survey message as: "Subject: ** LNT Survey **".
Please respond to the survey in private so that we don't clog up the list.
If you subscribe to both AT-L and ATML, please just duplicate your return
and send it back to me twice - show one as an AT-L return and the other as
an ATML return (I will NOT be using a check-off list of any kind, but I am
interested in the % of return for each list).

I will be happy to share the gist of the returned comments with any and
all.  I will NOT be happy to share the names, email addresses, or the
actual returns with ANYBODY...that's what my delete key is for <g>.

The series of LNT postings now looks like this:

LNT 1- Why me?                 (was "LNT - Why me?")
LNT 2- Why now?                (was "LNT - Why now?")
LNT 3- What is it?             (was "LNT - What is it?")
LNT 4- How?                    (was "LNT - How?")
LNT 5- Hiking HARD!            (was "LNT - Hiking HARD!")
LNT 6- Camping HARD!           (was "LNT - Camping HARD!")
LNT 7- PiiPio                  (was "LNT - PiiPio")
LNT 8- Wimp-out!               (was, briefly, "LNT - ****")
LNT 9- Shinola
LNT 10- Poop soup
LNT 11- Stop! Thief!
LNT 12- Smokey's revenge!
LNT 13- Flic a Bic
LNT 14- Planning planning
LNT 15- Wrap up!

Almost all of the above postings have been modified as the good feedback
helps me realize where I can do better (format better, write clearer, add
info, etc.).  I plan to continue these modifications as I get feedback from
the survey.

A number of folks have asked to be copied on LNT messages that they missed
(or lost, or got mad and threw out, etc.).  I have finally figured out how
to "redirect" the current version of each message with a simple cut&paste
for the email address.  I will be more than happy to send anyone a copy of
any of the messages...you just gotta promise to give me some honest
feedback on the survey <g>.

I am now working on a major redo of some of the LNT postings for use on
other lists (Scouting first, others later).  I sure could use some help in
figuring out what works good and what turns readers off.  I am interested
in ideas from ALL subscribers...no matter how green or experienced you
are...no matter whether you are on your 10th thru-hike or are just dreaming
about your first (or don't plan to ever do one at all <g>)...yes (gasp!),
even you thru-runners!

BTW, Charlie I has reminded me to ask for separate returns from all the
hiking couples on the list <VBG>.

Thanks for all the help!

- Charlie II  AT (MEGA'93)
             PCT (Mex@Can'95)