Re: [at-l] Conquest asks about Footwear

Gary Buffington wrote:

> My feet are used to running
> shoes while doing ultras as a clydesdale well over 200 (sometimes 220).
> Perhaps I could lose weight to 170 and carry a 50 pound pack while
> wearing running shoes!  Please discuss footwear.
> Conquest

Gary -
So far no one's gotten around to answering your question, so let's give
it a shot. The recent posts in response to yours seem to be headed off
into what I call "sockland".  My reading of your post indicates that
you're asking about what to wear while backpacking as opposed to
running the Trail.

So, with that in mind - a couple points.  First - even if you weigh 220,
there's no earthly reason to be carrying a 50# pack on the AT. Some do -
and they're welcome to it, but I've carried that much only 3 times -
twice when I took most of my partner's weight on the southern part of
the Trail (and ended up with well over 70# going up to Cheoah Bald and
Shuckstack) and once when I left Monson with a 52# pack (including 3# of
cookies). But I learned and so can you. Ultralight may not be something
you're ready for - most people aren't and most of them never will be.
But there are still a LOT of ways to lighten up your pack.

Second - If you weigh 220 (or even 200) it's not reasonable to lose 30
to 50# before you go on the Trail. That's a prescription for trouble.
Massive weight loss is something that's likely to happen if you thruhike
the AT anyway - it does to most males. Losing that much weight before
starting the AT will simply leave you with no reserve - and you'll need
that reserve to finish the Trail.  And even if you lost the weight, a
50# pack isn't the same as 50# of body weight. It  would simply
contribute to an increased level of body damage.

Now - for your question - if your feet are used to running shoes, they
might work for you on the Trail ---- if you're carrying a light pack
(less than 25-30#). And they might not. Carrying a pack is a hell of a
lot different than running - or even just walking.  What you DON'T want
to do is to try to carry a heavy pack and use running shoes.  I know -
there are people who do it - and some of them even get away with it.
But most of those who do it pay a price - and a lot of them don't finish
the Trail --- and some of them will never hike again.  Do you want to
take that chance?  I wouldn't. So - what I'd advise is to lighten your
pack, then try the running shoes --- before you go on the Trail.  If
they work for you - cool.  If not, then you can go for the boots.

Keep in mind that for the most part, the running shoe idea originated on
the West Coast - and Western trails are a whole different world. In
addition, Ray Jardine (the great advocate of running shoes - and
lightweight packs) states that his method is a "system" and should NOT
be used piecemeal.  In other words - if you're gonna use running shoes
then the lightweight pack is a necessity - not an option.

Enuff - let's see if this gets the discussion back where it should be
going instead of starting us all trashing each other. Y'all REALLY DON'T
want to get me into the "speedhiking" thing because while I don't, won't
and wouldn't do it myself, I REALLY don't like people putting limits on
what's acceptable as a thruhike. That kind of thing affects ALL of us
negatively, because if someone can define David Horton's hike as
unacceptable, then someone else can define what's acceptable - or not -
for my hike - or yours.  And I ain't gonna accept that. As someone once
said in an old C&W song - "If you're mindin' your own business, then you
won't be mindin' mine."  Y'all have a good week.

Walk softly,
Jim