[at-l] thots and questions

The reason I started carrying a walking stick is that my
hands tend to swell after a few hours of hiking.  The action
of carrying the stick seems to alleviate that problem.

I am planning to get a REI NiteLite tent because it gives me
a bit more room than a Clip Flashlite for little additional
weight.  Anybody used these?  Any positive or negative
observations?

Synthetic bags tend to lose oft if stored in a stuff sack or
when dirty/oily.  Regular use helps prevent this and so does
washing and drying with a thumper (Bambi is too big and I
don't even want to discuss Flower  ;-)

I have a Coleman Peak1 that I have used quite a bit in the
past.  Anybody else used one?  The hip belt has always been
uncomfortable but it is now causing me a great deal of grief
because I can't keep it from sliding down.  I just ordered
their new wide model belt (in the medium 28-36" length).
Has anyone ever tried that?  Please don't tell me that it is
a heavy old external frame pack and I could do better, I
already know but I can't afford a new one right now.

I have been training out here in CA by hiking up toward
Modjeska Peak in the Santa Ana Mountains.  I have had some
really nice walks.  3-4K feet elevation change and 12-18
mile hikes.  I have been increasing the weight in my pack
and have just this past week started hiking with my big pack
at 50+ pounds.  That belt is killing me.  Today I went out
for a couple of hours, hiked about 1200 vertical feet in
about 1.5 - 2 miles.  I have been carrying that pack for a
few miles every day, even if it is just down here on fairly
level ground.  I am trying to convince my hips that they can
deal with it.

Frankly I don't see how I am going to get my pack weight
down much under 50 pounds and still carry what I think is
essential.  Of course I also hear that a week or two on the
trail can considerably change my view of what is essential.

I am praying for good weather on Monday, 20 April.  My plan
is to hike up near the summit of Springer on the 19th and
then get up early and hike to the summit for sunrise the
next day.  The thought of starting this hike with a sunrise
really appeals to me.

I just bought a couple of Platypus bladders and the
hydration system tube today.  That is a really neat system.
I wonder why Nalgene hasn't come out with something similar
yet.  The hose is the right size to hook up to the outlet
port on most water filters so filling it is easy.

Well, enough rambling for now.  If any of you want to offer
advice, I would welcome it.

Thanks,
Cloudwalker