Re: [at-l] thots and questions

> I am planning to get a REI NiteLite tent
> Any positive or negative observations?

We have a NiteLite tent and ground cloth. The weight is not bad at all. The
length is good for my 6'3" frame.

Sometimes we put the rain cover on at home before packing the tent. It's
easier to set up in the rain and cold that way.

I like having a vestibule for our packs and such.

Staking the tent in rocky areas isn't always fun.

We don't have the warmest sleeping bags (crummy Kelty Clear Creek 20 degree
bags) and have a hard time on 40 degree windy nights since the air blows
through the mesh along the sides of the tent. It's great tent in warmer
weather. When we backpacked in lousy conditions a few weeks ago, we rented
a heavy REI Traildome2. One night we set the dome up in a shelter.

Another note about dome tents. They're easier to dress in since they have
more headroom. On the NiteLite, you have to sit near the door.

Overall we're very happy with it. We bought it on sale for $99 a while ago.

Tonto