Re: Fw: [at-l] sleeping bags

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:56:01 -0500 (EST) "Milt Webb, IQ Software"
<milt@iqsc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Ern Grover "Time-Maker" -- Father & Son Clockworks wrote:
>
> > Good point about the sleeping bag.  Strange that LL Bean is one of the
> > few outfitters who hang their bags instead of stuffing them in long term
> > storage.
>
> I was told (or read somewhere) that the very first time you stuff you bag
> into your pack or stuff sack you lose 8-10% of the loft, permanently!
> Pretty depressing (pun intended) if true. Anyone know whether that's fact
> or fiction?

Ray Jardine cites a similar (though I think slightly lower) number in his PCT
hiker's handbook. I don't have it in fromt of me, but I think he cited a
source.

To save loft over a long trip, he recommends placing your food in the bottom
of the pack, and your bag further towards the top. Haven't tried it myself,
since my bag has no more loft to lose, haha...

BTW, I believe the loss of loft is doubled the first time you put your bag in
a compression sack as compared to a stuff sack.