[Fwd: [at-l] To filter or not?]

-- BEGIN included message

Jim Mayer wrote:

> At 06:03 AM 3/11/98 PST, Milt Webb, IQ Software wrote:
> Anyay, I seem to recall that really effective hand cleaning requires
> copious quantities of clean water... while hiking the best I ever manage is
> a drop of soap, some lathering, and a very quick rinse.  Even that is a
> hassle, since one should move well away from water before using the soap!
>
> Random thought: would rubbing alcohol be effective?

Just a thought, the cysts cant survive with out water.  In other words, if your
hands are dry you are okay for Giardia (but you should still wash them because of
other disease causing bacteria).  The big danger comes when you are pumping and you
have wet hands from the water source and you are handling your bottles.  The threads
on your Nalgene are often the culprit, since they stay wet for a long time and are
first thing you touch with your hands and with your lips.  The threads are
especially over looked when using iodine, polar pure or potable aqua to make your
water potable.  you should always screw the cap of your bottle on loosely and turn
the bottle upside down letting the water containing the purifying agent run over the
threads for a few seconds.  (with potable aqua you have to wait for the tablet to
dissolve and then you can do the upside down bottle trick.

>  Eric

-- END included message