Re: [at-l] Fire & Survival

In a message dated 98-03-10 10:55:19 EST, ronm@fallingwater.com writes:

> In survival conditions, the location
>  of the fire pit is equally important.
 Very, very true. It would seem the mistake most often cited is building the
fire beneath the snow laden branches of a tree. Fire gets hot, snow above
melts, fire and people get doused. Hypothemic people do not make clear
judgements, which is one reason so many seem to do 'stupid' things. It's not
that they are 'stupid', or don't know or remember what to do, it's that the
first victim of hypothermia is reason.
 I've been told by my Dad that the best place for a 'survival fire' is out in
the open, where the smoke will be quickly seen as 'out of place' by
firespotters.
 If it's raining or snowing, rig a tarp over the emergency fire pit.
 Take care out there,
 TraderJohn (akaTraderJohn)