Re: [at-l] LNT 12- Smokey's revenge!

From: DaRedhead <DaRedhead@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [at-l] LNT 12- Smokey's revenge!

DaRedhead wrote:
>I am one who definitely wants a fire.  ...
>I could use that "tube" more surely than giving up a campfire.  I had no
idea it was so bad.
>The Redhead

A fire has a strong psychological effect. The dancing of the flames is
entertaining and comforting. We sometimes build a fire depending on the
situation. We have built fires and left the fire pit and surrounding area
much cleaner than when we arrived, but in genera, Charlies post, sadly,
describes the camp site condition due to fire activity perfectly. I do not
even like to camp near most fire rings.

My son and I each carry one of the less expensive, lighter, candle lanterns
available from Campmor, REI, etc. This is often our campfire. One warmer
candle burns for several hours in these. They provide some of the same
effects as a fire and does little damage to the area. (Food and clothes are
a better source of warmth than a fire.) Candle lanterns can serve as a
navigational aid to find your camp site in the dark. (Be sure that it is in
a safe place, if you leave it.) They are also a good backup light source. I
once replaced a maglite bulb (which burned out in the critical stages of
dinner preparation) by the light on one of these after dropping the spare
bulb in the dark.